Friday, January 1, 2010

Reflections on 2009


Happy New Year to all my reader! It has been quite a life changing year here at the Davies'. Having Arthur has been one of the most wonderful, albeit stressful things I have even done in my life. I cannot complain much though. For those of you that have met Arthur you understand what I'm talking about. He is quite possibly the easiest baby on the planet :).

Here is a rundown of how 2009 shaped up for us:

January: I was about 28 weeks pregnant and counting. Although the first part of my pregnancy was pretty rough with awful all day (not just morning) sickness, bu the first of the year I was feeling fine and everything was a GO! Jan. 31 Matt's sister Cathy gives birth to Wyatt Richard Davies-Kang. We are so Happy ice-ice is going to have a cousin so close to him in age!

February:
32 weeks pregnant. Work for me at Hanlon Brown is starting to slow down quite a bit and I switch to hourly, which gives me some free time to get things ready for little Ice-Ice (at this point we were calling Arthur that, and did not reveal his name till his birthday). I'm pretty sure the nursery was still not set up or anything.


March: 36 weeks pregnant. My coworkers at HB threw me a nice little shower, where they all pitched in and bought Matt and I Arthur's car seat, among other little gifts! Matt and I went to the lovely Eric Cable (who also photographed our wedding) and had our photograph taken. This was so much fun, I'm so glad we did it. My wonderful sisters threw me a beautiful baby shower. I received so may great gifts, and was now more then ready to get the nursery all put together. The one good thing about waiting till you are 37 weeks pregnant to set the nursery up is, that you husband gets to do all of the putting together, and all you have to do id decorate! We also bought a new fridge which is so awesome, and arrives just a couple weeks before Arthur.

April: 40 weeks pregnant (and counting): April 2nd (ice-ice's due date) came and went. On April 7th we went to what should have been my first doctors appt. after giving birth, and chose the date of April 10th to induce labor. My doctor also wanted me to go in for fetal monitoring either that day or the next, just to make sure that everything was going smoothly inside... The next day at 9am Matt and I went up to OHSU expecting to just listen to and see the baby, and go home, and instead I was wheeled over to labor and delivery and a pitocin was started. After a very short 3 hour labor, and thanks to some proactive doctors, and a quick c-section, at 4:12pm on April 8th Arthur Harrison Davies made his debut into this world, weighing 8 pound 7 ounces, 22 inches long.

April was quite possibly one of the most stressful and rewarding months of my life thus far. I had pulled my share of all-nighters in college but was always able to re coop afterwards. As much as I cannot function on no sleep, we soon came up with a system and were on our way to becoming a happy functional family. Matt took the rest of the month off, and with help from my family and Matt's we made it through that first hectic month!

May: Arthur is 1 month old. Things are moving right along in the Davies household. Arthur starts to smile at us, and has not stopped since! We found out that My sister (Desiree) is pregnant with her second child! She actually found out the day after my baby shower, but waited a while to tell everyone so as not to steel my thunder. Thanks Dez!!! We are so happy again to have yet another cousin so close to Arthur's age!

June: Arthur is 2 months old. 12 pounds and 2 feet long! We our first road trip up to Seattle to see the Davies-Kang clan, so that they could meet Arthur. Matt got to celebrate his first Fathers Day, and Arthur rolled over for the first time, at only 10.5 weeks! Matt was lucky enough to survive the Nike lay-off, but lost over half his team and was moved to a different department. Matt and I celebrate our 5 year anniversary. We find out that Dez and Chris are having a baby girl. Jack was not happy about this, as he wanted a brother, that he wanted to name "the other Jack".

July: Arthur is 3-months old. We took another short road trip up to Seattle this time we were able to see Matt's Aunt Maryanne and Uncle Steve and his cousins, which he had not seen since our wedding. On 7.7.09 our good friends Brad and Annie gave birth to a beautiful baby girl Maggie. Among the cousins that Arthur will have to grow up with, he will have a built in best friend just down the street. I can't wait! We took a just over a week long road trip with Dez, Chris, and Jack to Wyoming to the Bell-Wagner family reunion. I saw A LOT of family that I had not seen in many many years, and Arthur was able to meet his great Grandma and pa Bell. I'm so happy we took this trip and got to see all the family. First giggles! On Vacation I turn 29. Matt and I started a new business venture with Brad and Annie (mentioned above) and Actual Industries LLC was formed. I decide to become a stay at home mom, and not return to HB.

August: Arthur is 4 months old, and is starting to "talk" up a storm, and roll all over the place! Our good friends Jenny and John get hitched, and Arthur is able to meet all of his extended family that came out for the wedding! Matt Arthur and I take our first trip to the coast, and Arthur got to experience his first typical organ coast day, full of rain, wind and gray skys.

September: Arthur is 5 months old. Matt and I celebrate his 31st birthday and our 5th anniversary with a trip to Tacoma to see ACDC. I have to admit I was not sure about this present when I opened it but it turned out to be a pretty awesome concert. They can still rock for a bunch of old men :)! Arthur has his first taste of "real" food. He is not all that thrilled with the rice cereal and is much happier when we introduce peas, carrots, and sweet potatoes into the mix!

October: Arthur is 6 months old. We go back to Eric Cable and have our family portrait taken. Eric is so impressed with the photo's he has us sigh a model release. Arthur sure is one good looking baby! I have decided to make all of his food which is fun, and actually food I would not mind eating myself , if purred food is what I ate. We started getting weekly produce deliveries from organics to you that have provided many great organic meals to Arthur and ourselves! Arthur got his first stomach flu this month, we were all lucky to have it last only a few days. Arthur is the Pope for Halloween. Best costume EVER!!!

November: Arthur is 7 months old. He started to sit up on his own this month. He is still all smiles and talks up a storm. On 11.5.09 Dez and Chris welcome Ella Marlene Kiesel into the world. Jack and Ella are getting along just fine, although if you ask his who is cuter Ella or Arthur, he says Arthur! We celebrate Thanksgiving in Woodburn with my family.

December: Arthur is 8 months old, and has started to crawl and pull himself up to standing. He has the cutest little crawl, where he goes 3 or 4 steps and then tries to get up onto his toes and stand. He has not skipped crawling but I think he is going to move onto walking before he gets the whole crawling thing down. We celebrate Christmas at our place in Portland with Matt's all the family Matt's and mine. It is really fun to see all the cousins play, and have fun. I can't wait till next year when Arthur, Wyatt, and Ella are all old enough to know what is going on. After Christmas, Arthur also learned how to clap, thanks in part to Wyatt.

All in all 2009 has been quite a great year. We had a beautiful baby boy, and I can't wait to see what the next decade brings us...

1 comment:

The Bon said...

Yay! Happy year of Arthur! Happy new year to all of you!! Hopefully we'll get up to visit you soon!