Sunday, June 10, 2007

Skirt City... and I'm the Mayor!



So i'm super excited! I bought this book called Sew What! Skirts. It is a fabulous book that shows you how to make 16 different skirts, from your own pattern! I cant wait to put it to good use.

It has really great instructions, and the skirts are super cute! So may of the patterns out there are a bit middle aged for my taste, and all the patterns in the book are super hip.

Because you create the pattern from your own measurements it will fit a lot better then just using a pattern that says it will fit, but never does.

After I make a few skirts for myself I thinking about trying to sell custom made skirts for others. There is this web site called Esty where I think I will try and sell them. I was looking around on the site and somebody was selling a simple a-line skirt, and I thought I could do that. I love to sew, and I think people would love ordering a custom fit skirt. It might be while before I get that far but for now I will be hard at work making skirts for me!!

4 comments:

The Bon said...

Etsy is one of my favorite sites ever. I buy as many of my gifts as I possibly can from there. I figure if I can't make it myself, someone else ought to. ;) That said, I interact with a LOT of etsy sellers online and it's a pretty competitive market. Hand-sewn items are expensive (because you ought to pay yourself a living wage!) but at least there aren't as many skirt-makers as, say, jewelry-makers. That market seems to be pretty saturated right now. If you're interested, craftster.org has an entire board devoted to crafty business ventures and etsy. [the forums at etsy are pretty mean a lot of the time!]

Rebel said...

I saw that book and almost bought it for myself, but then admitted that I wear pants all the time. But I think it's perfect for you. I love the dresses you've made for yourself.

T is said...

R- I love the dresses as well, but I would prefer to wear a skirt and shirt, so I figure I need to make myself soem cute skirts to wear!

bon- Thanks for the adivse! I'm nowhere near actually selling anything, but when I do I will look into all my options before I just go for it. I might also just use my own site, I will just have to work on it a bit, and get it up to date. I will also have to have my MBA husband market it for me.... Anyway I don't know when I will even have the time for this, since I'm starting back to school in the fall.

redladybug79 said...

I would love a hand made skirt made by Slick!! I will tell everyone it is my Slick Skirt!!!